Monday, January 21, 2013

Navigation


The smallest things make a place start to feel like your home. Yesterday, it was being able to negotiate drop off points with a taxi driver. Small victories.

A day full of exploration helped Lindsey and I make sense of our home away from home. With the intention of setting up a phone line and internet service, we ended up buying an emergency swimsuit (or swim costume as they tend to say here) in the Victoria Wharf shopping center at the V&A Waterfront… all by foot. We must have asked for directions at least twenty times, but we managed to start to make sense of Cape Town.

Along the way, we discovered even more beautiful views and charming shops/vendors. One of my favorite things here is the abundance of juice bars, which let you pick your fruits and juice them right in front of you. The result is an incredibly satisfying drink on which I'll be spending many rand. 

Lindseys with fresh juice. Pineapple and orange for her, watermelon and orange for me!

Palm trees against a backdrop of mountains. How lucky am I?

The best discovery of the day was that we could walk to almost anything we might need, and will most likely choose to rent cars for special explorations. I've always wanted to live in a big city with so much to offer in such close proximity, and I'm finally here. I just still can't believe I moved half a world away to find it, but I'm thanking my lucky stars for landing me in such a breathtakingly beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment