Friday, July 26, 2013

I'll Remember The Way It Smelled

Whew! A busy few weeks it has been. Between the final assignment for another course module (6-8,000 words on Educational Reform in South Africa), starting the second term of English classes at the Scalabrini English School, and a wonderful visit from my family, my days have quickly filled up and extracted every bit of energy from my soul. That being said, a “Five Senses Friday” post is long overdue, and I’m here to deliver. Today, I’m reflecting on the smells of my experience in Cape Town.

When I remember Cape Town, I’ll remember the way it smelled.

I’ll remember the damp smell of rain that crept inside my windows and trapped itself in my bedroom. I’ll remember the cheerful, floral smell of the laundry detergent I used – “summer sensations” it was called. I’ll remember the smell of the shampoo and conditioner that wafted up the staircase when someone was taking a shower downstairs.

I’ll remember the smell of the ocean on the coast. I’ll remember the smell of the winds that gusted away any pollution, restoring the city’s fresh scent. I’ll remember how the after-the-rain smell of a coastal city differed from my landlocked home in Kentucky. And I’ll remember the familiar smells of my visitors upon our first hugs in a different country: the lotion my sister had used for years and the familiar smell of Adam’s house that lingered in his clothing.

"Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains; another, a moonlit beach; a third, a family dinner of pot roast and sweet potatoes during a myrtle-mad August in a Midwestern town. Smells detonate softly in our memory like poignant land mines hidden under the weedy mass of years. Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once. A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth." - Diane Ackerman

The smell of wine will permeate my memories. From early afternoon through the evening, people sip the pride of their wineland-rich area, and the smell swirls around them. The smell of freshly pulled espresso will punctuate my memories. From the start of each day at The Power & The Glory to the end of dinner throughout the city, cafes and restaurants emit the sweet, buttery smell I have fallen in love with throughout the years. All day. Every day. Everywhere. 

I’ll remember the variety of smells I encountered on my walk from the Jammie Shuttle stop to our house after class (at about 7 PM, which is peak dinner time). I'll remember the tangy smell of Thai food as I pass Sawaddee, the rich smell of coffee as I pass Vida e Caffe, the enticing smell of bread as I pass Knead, the enticing smell of burgers on the grill at Hudson’s, and the freshly cooked fish smell of Ocean Basket. I’ll remember the smell of our house and of the gas stove being lit.

When I think about Cape Town, I’ll remember the smell of the cinnamon and cloves in my oats and the swirling smells of the various market vendors at Old Biscuit Mill, Hout Bay, and Hope Street. I’ll remember the warm and earthy smell of rooibos tea steeping in a cup of hot water. I’ll remember the smell of curries and samoosas and savory pies.

I’ll remember the smells of my time in Cape Town. 

Video: http://vimeo.com/34944711#



No comments:

Post a Comment