Friday, August 30, 2013

I'll Remember The Way It Tasted

When I travel, I eat. A lot.

From every new place, I take a few favorite foods and restaurants, and I miss them tirelessly after I’ve left. Cape Town will be no exception. In fact, it will be a shining star on my list of cravings, and you can bet that I’ll be remembering the way Cape Town tasted for years to come.

I’ll remember the sweet, syrupy taste of my morning coffee at The Power & The Glory. I’ll remember the taste of the laugen sticks that stole my heart with their crunchy, salty outsides and soft, doughy insides. I’ll remember the flaky deliciousness of the croissants, the perfect texture of the Bircher’s muesli, and the salty-sweet hot oats.

Malva pudding, a well-known South African indulgence.
When I think of Cape Town, I’ll remember ½ price sushi and dim sum at Beluga on Sundays. Sashimi salad, duck pot stickers, and a samurai roll, please. I’ll remember the way The Works tasted on Monday nights, when Rafiki’s served ½ price pizzas. I’ll remember the perfection of Hudson’s roasted banana milkshakes, and the disappointment I met when I discovered they would no longer be made. I’ll remember the cinnamon frozen yogurt at Myog, which made an appearance once every five weeks.

I’ll remember the seafood paella and fruit tarts at the Neighbourgoods Market on Saturdays, and I’ll remember the chilli poppers, strawberry balsamic chocolate truffles, and artisan lollies at the City Bowl Market on Thursdays. I’ll remember the noodle dishes I took comfort in at Simply Asia, Sawaddee, and Yindee’s. I’ll remember the bite of peri-peri on Nando’s chicken, mielie (corn) and potato wedges.

Milk tart, or melk tert, is an Afrikaans treat.
When I eat at McDonald’s, I’ll remember the fiery spice of the Grand Chicken Spicy sandwich that doesn’t exist in the USA. I’ll remember the late-night taste of boerewors rolls with grilled onions and sweet chilli sauce on Long Street. I’ll remember the crisp, sweet taste of Savanna and Hunter’s dry ciders. I'll remember the blueberry bubble tea and chilli poppers I found at the Waterfront food market.

I’ll remember chicken pies from Woolworths, mince samoosas from the tuck shop by the refugee centre, cappuccino muffins from the sandwich shop on campus. I’ll remember Caribbean onion and balsamic chips, chakalaka, onion jam, and springbok. I’ll remember the salty taste of biltong, the sticky sweet taste of koeksisters, and the custard-like taste of milk tart. I'll remember the gooey deliciousness of malva pudding with Amarula topping. I'll remember rooibos tea and Jacob's instant coffee. And I’ll remember the taste of chips (fries) served with just about everything.

Samoosas, also known as samosas, are savory pastries.

If our paths cross for any significant amount of time in the future, you’ll hear me dream of all of these things. Similar tastes will kick off nostalgia, and I’ll miss Cape Town again. Just like my taste buds occasionally miss Coldwater, MI and Nashville, TN and Louisville, KY and Charlotte, NC and Lincoln, NE. 

And just like my taste buds often miss Bowling Green, KY.

No comments:

Post a Comment