Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Reflections from Recovery

I like to say -- brag, even -- that I'm nothing like my family. For starters, my parents are from small town Kentucky, and just about the only things I like about that place are my grandparents and the real banana milkshakes you can get at a little walk-up spot. I'm a bit of a conglomerate of my sisters, though -- one part Sarah and one part Staci. Do we have similar personalities at all, though? I think not.

Every once in a while, however, I am reminded of just how centering a good time with family members can be. Last night's dinner (my last meal prior to this morning's wisdom teeth surgery) was one of those moments where it all made sense. I could see myself in my parents and in my sister, even though there's probably more that's different than the same, and I understood how growing up here as I did shaped me into the person I am today. For a bit, I was the happiest girl in the world.

Good feeling. Unlike the places in my mouth that used to be home to my wisdom teeth. Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment