Friday, February 3, 2012

Lessons from a Starbucks drive-thru

When I worked at Starbucks, I dealt with notoriously joyful "regulars" and notoriously grumpy "regulars." For the former, the cup of coffee seemed like an added delight in their days, something they looked forward to. For the latter, the cup of coffee was sustenance, something they needed more than they wanted.

I would always contemplate their differences with another barista. How could one customer be so delightful while the next was such a burden to serve? Our theory: everyone has multiple forks in the road, chances to do something differently. Perhaps those inevitably grumpy people regret their decision and aren't satisfied with the life they're living.

I think about those contrasting customers more often than you'd believe. Now I'm just determined to be the joyful person in the drive-thru window. And I think it's less right-decision vs. wrong-decision and more learn-from-every-decision mixed with a little bit of delight-in-the-simple-things. Like cups of coffee.


But I could be completely wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment